While you set up Dropbox for your pc, Dropbox creates a default folder in a selected location to retailer your recordsdata. For those who ever need to alternate your folder construction or you need to make use of an exterior power to your Dropbox recordsdata, you’ll transfer your Dropbox folder.
You’ll be able to transfer the Dropbox folder to anywhere you prefer. Alternatively, you’ll’t do this the usage of the standard strategies you employ to transport folders in Home windows Explorer. You’ll want to alternate an choice in Dropbox settings to switch your default Dropbox folder location.
Prior to You Transfer Your Dropbox Folder
Not like standard folders, shifting the Dropbox folder to near to any garage tool could cause problems. The next explains what drives you must and shouldn’t use with the Dropbox app.
Use Inner Drives
At all times attempt to use interior drives to retailer your Dropbox folder. It’s because your working machine connects to those drives whilst you boot your pc. This is helping Dropbox in finding your Dropbox folder once you release the Dropbox app (or when the app launches routinely on boot-up).
Don’t Use Exterior Drives
Technically, you’ll transfer your Dropbox folder to an exterior power. Alternatively, this isn’t beneficial. Because of more than a few causes, exterior drives can occasionally get disconnected whilst Dropbox is attempting to sync your recordsdata.
Additionally, the Dropbox folder must be to be had whilst you release the Dropbox app. In case your exterior drives get fixed after Dropbox launches, Dropbox gained’t be capable of in finding the folder to retailer your recordsdata. This may reason sudden problems.
Don’t Use Community Drives
Community drives don’t ship a “record replace tournament” to the pc machine when you are making a transformation to a record saved on this kind of power. Dropbox calls for that tournament to acknowledge your record adjustments and to resync your recordsdata. As a result of this, Dropbox doesn’t give a boost to community drives.
Don’t Use Detachable Media
Anything else that may be regarded as a detachable media like an SD card or a microSD card can’t be used to retailer your Dropbox recordsdata. Dropbox doesn’t give a boost to those garage gadgets.
Dropbox wishes consistent get right of entry to to the Dropbox folder and detachable media is supposed to be got rid of out of your pc every now and then. Due to this fact, those gadgets shouldn’t be used to retailer your Dropbox folder.
How To Transfer Your Dropbox Folder
Dropbox has an choice in its desktop app to permit you to choose a brand new default Dropbox folder. You’ll be able to get right of entry to this selection as follows.
- Click on the Dropbox icon on your machine tray.
- Within the Dropbox display screen that opens, click on your profile icon on the top-right nook and make a choice Personal tastes.
- Click on the remaining tab that claims Sync within the tabs row on the peak.
- You’ll see an choice that claims Dropbox folder location and a trail indexed subsequent to it. Click on the Transfer button subsequent to the trail to transport your Dropbox folder.
- You’ll be able to now navigate for your pc garage and make a choice a brand new location to your Dropbox folder. Click on OK whilst you’ve decided on a folder.
- You’ll get a urged pronouncing your entire recordsdata might be moved to the brand new location. Choose OK to proceed.
- Click on Follow adopted through OK to avoid wasting the adjustments.
What To Do If You Can’t Transfer Your Dropbox Folder
For those who see an error whilst shifting your Dropbox folder or if Dropbox gained’t settle for your new folder location, you’ll want to repair the underlying problems.
Information Or Folders Are In Use
If a program is the usage of your Dropbox recordsdata or folders, you gained’t be capable of transfer the Dropbox folder. You wish to have to first shut this system or systems which are the usage of your Dropbox recordsdata. Then repeat the method above to transport your Dropbox folder.
Use Selective Sync
When you have too many recordsdata on your present Dropbox folder, you’ll check out decreasing the choice of those recordsdata after which transfer your Dropbox folder. As soon as the folder is moved, you’ll resync the rest recordsdata.
You’ll be able to scale back your Dropbox recordsdata through the usage of Selective Sync. This option means that you can selectively sync your recordsdata and folders. You must make a choice just a few folders to be synced first.
- Open Dropbox settings through clicking the Dropbox icon within the machine tray, settling on the profile icon, and opting for Personal tastes.
- Head to the remaining tab that claims Sync.
- Click on the Selective Sync button to select the folders that you need to sync.
There Isn’t Sufficient Area On Your New Force
For those who’re shifting your Dropbox folder to some other power, be sure that there’s sufficient garage at the power.
Take away useless recordsdata from the power to make room to your Dropbox recordsdata.
Don’t Use Symlinks
A symlink is a shortcut to a record or folder for your pc. Customers occasionally create symlinks to indicate their Dropbox folder to some other location on their computer systems.
Alternatively, Dropbox doesn’t recommend you employ symlinks to your Dropbox folder. Those symlinks could cause problems like high-CPU utilization, permission problems, syncing problems, and so forth.
For those who’ve arrange any symlinks for the Dropbox folder, discard the ones symlinks after which attempt to transfer your Dropbox folder.
One explanation why you’ll’t transfer your Dropbox folder is that you just don’t have required permissions to your Dropbox folders and recordsdata. You’ll be able to repair this permissions factor through operating a few instructions from the Command Steered.
- Click on the Dropbox icon for your machine tray.
- Choose your profile icon on the top-right nook and make a choice Go out Dropbox. This’ll shut the Dropbox app.
- Press the Home windows + R keys on the similar time, kind cmd, and hit Input. This’ll open the Command Steered.
- Sort the next into the Command Steered. This command assumes you haven’t moved your Dropbox folder sooner than. This’ll grant the specified permissions to your Dropbox folder for your consumer account.
icacls “%HOMEPATHp.cDropbox” /grant “%USERNAME%”:(F) /T
- As soon as the above command is carried out, run the next command. This command will grant you required permissions to make use of the Dropbox folder situated within the appdata listing for your pc.
icacls “%APPDATAp.cDropbox” /grant “%USERNAME%”:(F) /T
- Open the Get started Menu and release Dropbox.
You’ll be able to now transfer your Dropbox folder to a brand new location.
How To Transfer Your Dropbox Folder Again To Default Location
If you wish to deliver your Dropbox folder again to its unique location, you’ll do this through getting into a unmarried phrase within the Dropbox trail box within the Dropbox app.
- Click on Dropbox on your machine tray, choose your profile on the top-right nook, and make a choice Personal tastes.
- Choose the remaining tab that claims Sync to view your Dropbox folder settings.
- Click on the Transfer button subsequent to Dropbox folder location to transport your Dropbox folder.
- You’ll see a box subsequent to the place it says Folder. Sort the next into that box and hit OK.
- Choose OK within the urged to start out shifting your Dropbox folder.
For those who’ve moved the Dropbox folder to some other power, you want to bear in mind somebody with get right of entry to to that power can view your Dropbox recordsdata. If privateness is your primary fear, you must stay the folder the place handiest you’ll get right of entry to it.