This summer, we’ve partnered with Cook Smarts to inspire you in the kitchen as part of our ‘Stronger, Healthier You Series’. This week, we’ve got a one pan skillet enchilada, which has always been a HUGE hit as a easy weeknight meal. This is the first version Cook Smarts has featured with ground beef, and it adds a great heartiness to the finished dish.
Red Enchilada Sauce:
- Oil, cooking – 1 Tbsp
- Chili powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground – 2 tsp
- Oregano, dried – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder – 1/2 tsp
- Tomato paste – 7 Tbsp
- Stock, any type – 2 cups
Skillet Enchiladas with Ground Beef:
- Onions, medium – 1, diced
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour – 8, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Kale, curly-leaf – 4 leaves, stems discarded, leaves chopped
- Zucchini – 8 oz, diced
- Corn, frozen – 1 cup
- Oil, cooking – 1 Tbsp
- Beef, ground and lean – 1 lb
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Enchilada sauce (ingredients listed separately) – ~2 cups
- Cheese, Monterey Jack, shredded – 6 oz (sub cheddar)
- Sour cream – 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Make enchilada sauce – Combine oil (portion for the sauce), chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic powder in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until spices are fragrant. Whisk in tomato paste and stock. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together and the sauce reduce slightly. (Note: sauce will be fairly thin.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions – Dice onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tortillas / Kale / Zucchini – Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Corn – Defrost corn.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet with oil (portion for enchiladas) over medium-high heat. Add onions to heated oil. Saute until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini with a pinch of salt and saute for 3 minutes more.
- Add beef and salt to the pan and saute until beef is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid / fat.
- Add kale, corn, and enchilada sauce. Continue cooking to heat everything through.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in tortillas and half the cheese. Top skillet with remaining half of cheese.
- Place skillet under heated broiler and cook until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, ~3 minutes (watch it closely to prevent burning).
- Serve skillet enchiladas with sour cream on top. Enjoy!
Cook Smarts creates weekly meal plans, cooking guides and infographics, and online cooking lessons, all designed to help anyone build a strong cooking foundation. When you purchase PB Resolution, a three-month subscription to Cook Smarts comes with your program purchase, helping you to build strength and flexibility, but also dial in your nutrition for optimal health.
PB Resolution is a fitness program that combines yoga and strength training into a seamless, easy-to-follow 12-week schedule. PB Resolution is designed to provide you with the tools you need to keep your body safe, challenge you no matter where you’re at, increase strength regardless of your fitness preference, all while encouraging you to discover yourself like never before. For more information, or to join the PB Resolution community, visit pbypr.com.